New Survey: How much do you mix your real life with your Second Life?

Take my new anonymous survey on Second Life / Real Life identity cross-over, now available on New World Notes, or below – embedded in this post.

Recently, I participated in a Plurk discussion where people debated the merits of sharing their real life identity (from images to real names) with other Second Life residents. I heard many arguments against this idea, and several arguments in its favour. Unsatisfied, I want to know what Second Life residents actually do, and what they think, about this very interesting question.

Please complete this anonymous survey and I’ll summarise the results on New World Notes next week, and share a more in-depth report on this website a week after that. If you can’t see the survey embedded in this post, then you can complete it here.

By | 2016-11-18T13:15:00+00:00 August 12th, 2015|Opinions, Second Life|23 Comments

About the Author:

Canary Beck has been an active Second Life resident since 2007. She is an SL blogger, artist, creator, merchant, sim owner, researcher, filmmaker and performing artist. Offline she works as a London-based internet marketing consultant and business owner.

23 Comments

1. […] World Notes published my summary of results of last month’s survey on Second Life and Real Life privacy […]

2. Monerda August 14, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I’ll be taking the survey after I logout of my WordPress blog account haha! For me personally SL is precisely a “second” life. It’s not Real Life+, One and a Half Life or Kinda Me. When I login I immerse myself in whatever character I choose to be. Who, what and where I am in reality is irrelevant. In my opinion there’s too much of an obsession on the part of some about this. Someday if I get ambitious I’ll post a blog entry of my take on reality in virtual worlds. Anyway I’ll be interested to see the results 😀

3. ℳøηї August 13, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Reblogged this on Moni's World and commented:
    I recently took a survey about sharing real life details on Second Life. I believe your answers will vary depending on how you utilize Second Life. A business owner will not have the same answers as a casual user.

The results will be summarized next week on NWN (New World Notes), so look for it! ^^

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

That would have been a very good question to ask (e.g. are you primarily a business user of SL or mainly a recreational user). Given the smaller proportion of business users vs recreational users of SL, i’d suspect the results will more accurately represent recreational users.

• Unti August 13, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Considering how SL seems to attract various sex and gender minorities, I cannot believe I’m the only one who had to toss a coin to answer the question about RL sex. And yes, I did notice it was about RL (my SL sex fits quite nicely into the binary – but then, I got to choose it myself).

That said, the survey is interesting and I’m looking forward to seeing the results. Thank you!

4. Ellexiz Diamond August 13, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Would be great if we can see the survey results, once we submit. Just a thought.

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Hi Ellixiz, thanks for your feedback. I don’t do that to avoid the live results unduly influencing results among those who’ve not completed the survey yet. This is the same reason election results are not revealed until the polls are closed. I’ll reveal the summary results next week, and the full report in two weeks. Thanks!

• Ellexiz Diamond August 13, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Sounds good. I’m intrigued to learn the results. 😀

5. Brian August 13, 2015 at 8:58 am

What I share depends on which SL account I’m logged in on and who I’m talking to. In one extreme I might not be sharing my RL name, age or gender, in another I might be sharing my RL name, photos, skype, phone number and address – but I’m a free person in RL with no marriage or children to be affected. With accounts I set up to use in conjunction with my SL persona, such as Flickr, I prefer to make it only about the ‘avatar’ and share no RL details (where possible) – but some services make this difficult.

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm

That’s a good point, Brian. And reading your post on virtual gender, I can see how you might apply different rules to each experience. Thanks for your feedback!

6. Lainey Thorne August 13, 2015 at 6:03 am

Reblogged this on The Anti Girly Girl Blog.

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 10:08 am

Thanks for the reblog, Lainey. 🙂

7. Topsy Kreets August 13, 2015 at 2:52 am

I would be interested in seeing the results of this survey also. Mostly the stalking part, considering I have personally been stalked in SL that resulted in the person stalking me in RL and making death threats against my RL partner.

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 10:07 am

That’s scary.What a horrible experience to have gone through, I’m sorry you had to deal with that.

8. Jayden August 12, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Reblogged this on Beauty Lies Within and commented:
    This is really interesting! I’m curious to see the results.

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 10:07 am

They’ll be out in a couple of weeks!

9. famekills88 August 12, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Reblogged this on FameKillsit and commented:
    Thought this was an interesting survey!

• Becky August 13, 2015 at 9:53 am

Thank you for sharing this post! Results will be shared in a couple of weeks.

• famekills88 August 13, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Np 🙂

10. […] Beck has an interesting poll up: How much do you mix your real life with your Second Life? It originate from Hamlet’s site: Short Survey on Second Life vs. Real Life Identity. You can […]

11. zzpearlbottom August 12, 2015 at 4:07 pm
    • Becky August 13, 2015 at 9:52 am

Thank you for sharing this post!

Comments are closed.